Sunday, January 25, 2009

Getting slower better at milling.


I'm slowly getting better at maching parts. The photo is a trival couple of spacers; Just some aluminium box, cut and faced to the same length.

I cut them on the bandsaw, squared one end of each on the mill, turned them over, stood them on equal bars and then run a face cutter over the pair.

Pretty trivial machining, but it still involved 3 tools. The nice bit that I'm happy about is that it only took me about 5 to 10 minutes. I'm very slowly getting more experienced and quicker.

This morning I was making more delrin nuts (for the mini-mill) and had both the lathe and knee-mill running at the same time. The lathe was on auto-feed facing and then parting delrin, while the mill was on power-feed facing the aluminium bracket. Less standing around waiting while the machines take fine cuts. Not entirely sure it was a good idea, but it did make things go faster.

No comments: